09 July 2007

English can be fun...

Thank Grammar Girl once again, for now my only quest in life (since my boy minds his Ps and Qs now) is to use the term 'mondegreen' in a sentence.  Well, other than that one.  While I think it happens quite often, I suppose mishearing my wife doesn't quite count.


Although, as much as I enjoy Grammar Girl, she did point out one thing that seems to be happening to me: I am regionalizing.  You know, I spent over six months in southeastern Great Britain, and did not pick up an accent.  When I tried, I was called a posh git and told to stop.  I did pick up many of their terms, most of which I still use.

Now... now though, I'm slipping.  I've called soda by the term 'pop'.  And now... now... oy.  Even my 'out' has changed a touch, and don't even get me started on pronouncing the name of my fair state.  My identity is in a state of utter disarray.

Oh well.

No comments: