09 May 2007

My Grandmother and the Queen...

This past week, Britain's Queen Elizabeth II came to visit the United States. This is a nice piece by Matt Frei from BBC News. I enjoy his writing and perspectives of being a Briton living and reporting in America.

The most memorable portion of the Queen's journey to the former colonies was when President Bush mistakenly said the bicentennial anniversary of our country was in 1776 rather than 1976. The Queen apparently flashed the President a look that made him blush and cringe, and amazingly utter the best line I have ever heard him use to recover his own idiocy by saying that the Queen gave him "a look that only a mother could give a child".

Aside from the obvious fact that the analogous descriptors were truly dead on the qualities of the two world leaders, I think the whole scenario says much about the Queen. She, as it was reported, was not amused by the President's blunder, as I am certain she kept her stiff upper lip throughout many rather undignified ramblings by sub-par 'representatives' in Washington. I would not blame a woman of her demeanor to think too highly or speak too loosely with folk of that ilk.

I have always wanted to meet Elizabeth II. Now, my American arrogance would want to stand tall, shake her hand, and say that it's so nice to meet an equal. Politically speaking, it is true. The United Kingdom does in fact belong to her, and our United States belongs to its adult citizens. My little rebel's slight would end right there, however, and it is because of lessons my Grandmother taught me.

My impression of Queen Elizabeth II is that she is the epitome of dignity and grace. Any room she occupies has an increased air of respect for all humanity in it. When she speaks, it is nothing but truth and wisdom. And in her silence is a pure patience without judgment. I do not feel I am far off the mark, as the Queen of England is so like my own Grandma Mary (who also has land named after her).

As children, my sister and I were given fair warning to make absolutely certain that our behavior was exemplary while at Grandma's. Now, that is not to say we were awful around our other grandparents; it was just especially important for Grandma Mary. Looking back, it was hardly because she was overly strict; it was, and still is, simply how to do things. She is a proper lady, and so ought her guests be. To be otherwise is simply rude, and there is no reason to be rude.

My grandmother is all that I have described of Her Majesty the Queen, and I learned so much of that dignity from my grandmother. It was never taught directly; it never needed to be. She simply was dignity and grace in her own existence, so it had no need to be spoken of. I am already teaching my son those lessons on good behavior and I hope I am successful enough to make her proud of he and I when she finally meets him next month.

It would be lovely to meet the Queen, to have a spot of tea and a chat of all things big and small, and to learn from her Highness as I did (and still do, bless her) from my Grandma Mary.

[Portrait by Christian Furr, who hopefully won't be terribly upset by my adding his art to my site and giving him due credit for a great work.]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was a beautifully written piece about Queen Elizabeth II and Grandma Mary. Grandma Mary taught us so much and I am ever grateful for it all. To add to the comparisons, Grandma Mary seems to have the same hair cut/color as Her Majesty.