12 June 2007

Marcus Aurelius...

Just opening up my book of Marcus Aurelius' reflections, I came across this:

Do not act as if thou wert going to live ten thousand years. Death hangs over thee. While thou livest, while it is in thy power, be good.
[Book 4, Part 17]

It seems oddly appropriate after my previous post.

While on the topic, I would recommend The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius to anyone. It is broken up into small thoughts and ideas that speak volumes. Nearly every single phrase is applicable to life somewhere. It has given me more wisdom and has reaffirmed other ideas I have attempted to live by. Also, for some reason, it is a calming book. I can open it up to any page and lose myself for a little bit. One passage, and I neurons are flying in all directions, removing me from a moment and I cannot help but to simply contemplate. It's lovely.

No comments: