19 June 2007

News from Hollywood...

Holy shit.

This completely boggles my mind. Is one of the big nine actually talking about a television program as if it were real? As if it had any bearing how we should rule ourselves? I'm still reeling a little bit and rubbing my eyes and going 'WAH?' a la Jon Stewart.

I even read the article from globeandmail.com and I still can't figure it out. I want so desperately to believe that legitimate lawmakers and the judicature were just going through some playful banter.

I can see part of what was being argued. Should the allowance of beyond-Geneva-Conventions methods be shown on television as praised with no repercussions? I would say no, since we are (vainly and foolishly) trying to set a moral example for the world, we ought not let people think we can get away with the awful for a good cause. And if it were kept to that, fine.

But there is a line out there, that we all know and feel, and it is the borders of reality. There is a great difference between what is actually present and happening in the world and what are the fictions we create to either understand or at least get through those realities. Once those fictions are spoken of as if they actually happened, and if they have even remote bearing in our lives, then we are back in Socrates' cave.

To inaccurately quote a line from Rocky and Bullwinkle, when Rocky was pursuing a train. Here are the conductors:
"I think I'm going crazy, Edgar"
"Why's that, Jonesy?"
"Because if squirrels are chasing us, we must be nuts."

No comments: